Some of the most common things I hear people saying when they first start, or are thinking about meditating are:
- I don’t know how to meditate, or where to start
- I don’t have time to meditate, I’m too busy
- I can’t clear my mind and keep getting distracted
- Sitting in one place for too long is uncomfortable
- I don’t know if I’m doing it right?
- It doesn’t feel like anything is happening…
Can you relate to any of these?
I know, when I was first drawn to meditating I experienced many of the same thoughts and concerns.
I tried a lot of different styles and felt like Goldilocks, from Goldilocks and the 3 Bears : )
Some were too constricting with too many rules, others just didn’t feel right, and finally I worked out what was ‘just right’ for me, aaahhhh. It was a process that I needed to go through to find the style that worked best for me, my lifestyle, and my needs.
Here are some of things I’ve learned and experienced, that I’d like to share with you.
My TOP TIPS for making meditating easy, and enjoying the benefits sooner
- You can meditate anywhere, anytime, in almost any position. This is your practice, for your benefit. It needs to fit in with your lifestyle or it won’t be sustainable for you.
- You can get the benefits of meditating even if you only have 5-10mins. You don’t need a lot of time, just a quiet space where you won’t be interrupted or distracted.
- It’s ok to have thoughts, you’re human, this isn’t an instant process. A simple technique you can use is to gently focus on your breathe, or say a mantra, to help calm your nervous system and relax.
- There is no one-size-fits-all. Be curious, try different things and you will find what works for you..
- Have fun : ) Putting pressure on yourself about meditating is just replacing one kind of stress with another…
- Find someone who can guide and support you as you learn. Once you start, and get in a rhythm, your curiosity will grow. Having someone who can introduce you to different styles and methods, and answer your questions, will help you to feel the benefits of meditating more quickly and easefully.
- Don’t give up… it may feel uncomfortable to start, because it’s new. That’s normal!
I would love to hear more about your meditation journey. Feel free to leave a comment below….
With love & gratitude